Details about the contenders in Wednesday night’s eight-round middleweight bout between Anthony Sims Jr. and Antonio Todd at Sony Hall in New York City.
If you can’t be there, check it out on Boxing Insider’s YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/c/SportsNS
8 rounds – medium weight
Anthony Sims Jr
Record – 22-1, 20 KO’s
Height – 6’1″
Weight – 158.4
Age – 27
Originally from – Plainfield, IN
Fights from – Los Angeles, California
* Nicknamed “The Magician”.
* Current level #26 in the world
According to the World Boxing Council (WBC) as a super middle weight
* Sims was born in Plainfield, Indiana and grew up in the Indianapolis area. His father died when he was six years old, and according to him, it put him in a long period of psychological stress. He had trouble with his peer group, and some childhood abuse led him to a boxing gym.
*Sims is Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s cousin and was a point guard who trained under Roger Mayweather as well as Floyd Mayweather Sr.
* Sims holds an amateur record of 188-13. In the year In 2012, he went to the semi-finals of the US Championship where he lost to Marcus Browne. He also won a medal in the Olympic Trials.
* In the year He fought at the 2012 Junior World Championship and was disqualified for physically striking his opponent.
* He didn’t actually sign with Mayweather as a pro because he considered it a “weak” deal.
* Made his debut in April 2014 with a four-round decision over James Lee Guy.
* He has only one other win by decision, which came over ten rounds in a bout against Von Alexander (4/26/19) at the Los Angeles Forum.
* Sims scored nine first-round KO’s in his first twelve bouts.
* The only loss came on January 30, 2020, a ten-round split decision to Romar Alexis Angulo in Miami. Sims moved a lot, but didn’t cause enough offense.
* Eight months after the Angulo loss, Sims went to Dubai and defeated Hernan David Perez (8/13/21) for the WBA Intercontinental Super Middleweight (168-pound) title.
* Sims acquired promoter Eddie Hearn of Macharum Boxing through former welterweight champion Kyle Brook. He signed a deal with Herr, but in the end, that deal fell through. Sims was also, previously, in Don King’s promotional stable.
* Scored a third round TKO of Manny Woods in his last fight. That was last December 18, which means it has been idle for over a year.
* Sims are extremely athletic, and very slow on their feet. His best punch is probably the left hook.
* He has done a lot of work with young people, and wants to use his success in boxing as a platform to work with more young people.
Record – 14-6, 8 KO’s
Height – 6’0 inches
Weight – 159.2
Age – 28
First from – Atlanta
Battles from – Atlanta
* Won his first five fights as a professional.
* Each of his first nine professional fights took place in the Atlanta area.
* Fought “Arsenio Hall” in South Carolina in December 2020, winning by four round decision.
* Fights undefeated Conor Coyle for the NABA middleweight title in May. Todd managed to keep Coyle off early, but he wasn’t busy enough. However, it came in the second half of the fight. Ultimately, he lost a ten-round split decision that was the subject of some controversy.
*Todd’s best professional victory came on January 22nd, a ten-round majority decision over Hugo Centeno Jr., who came in with a 28-3-1 record.
* Last fight was a sixth round TKO of Larry Smith (13-51-2). It took place on December 2.
*Rolls around a bit with Jaff. But he is calm, cool and patient. And he has some tricks in the bag (shoulder rolls, etc.). It is difficult for a “green” person.