NEW YORK – A New York City-owned golf course run by former President Donald Trump’s business will host a Saudi-backed women’s tournament in October, city officials announced Friday.
The Aramco team’s plan to host the series at Trump Golf Links in Bronx Ferry Point comes after an attempt to void Trump’s contract in New York City was thrown out by a judge in April.
Former Mayor Bill de Blasio said shortly after Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021, they were canceling deals for Trump’s golf course and several Central Park properties. The Democratic mayor said the city has the legal right to terminate a contract with a company with leaders involved in criminal activities such as inciting riots.
Manhattan District Court Judge Debra James ruled that the city’s claim that the Trump Organization breached its contract had no legal basis.
The Aramco Team Series, first played in 2020 as the Saudi Women’s Team International, is funded by the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia.
The Saudi fund supports the LIV Golf Tour, which is set up as a rival to the PGA Tour, which Trump played last month in Bedminster, New Jersey.
In the year Some families of 9/11 victims, who blame Saudi Arabia for the 2001 terrorist attacks, criticized Trump for hosting the Saudi-sponsored visit.
The Saudi Arabian government has denied any involvement in the attack.
A series of messages seeking comment about Aramco’s Oct. 13-15 race in New York City was sent to the Trump Organization and Aramco Group.
Nick Paolucci, a spokesman for the city’s law department, said, “The city is contractually obligated to abide by the Trump Ferry license agreement and cannot unreasonably withhold the license for the race, as shown in the previous administrative court decision.” “