Boxing Insider: A New Beginning
Details about the competitors in the 10-round junior middleweight contest between them Ivan Golub And Wesley TuckerIt’s taking place Thursday night at Sony Hall in New York City.
If you can’t be there, watch it on PPV. Bxngtv.com:
Evan Golub (20-1, 15 KO’s)The current USB welterweight champion gets in on the act when he faces Wesley Tucker for the first time in 14 months.
- Golub, a native of Gorlovka, Ukraine, has extensive experience at the amateur level. He compiled a 270-32 record, which included five Ukrainian national titles and a bronze medal at the 2009 World Championships. Golub competed in the World Series of Boxing, a hybrid between pro and amateur boxing. He says coming through the Ukrainian system has prepared him well for his journey to the pro ranks.
- Golub fought in international tournaments alongside Ukrainian teammates such as Oleksandr Usyk, Oleksandr Govozyk and Vasyl Lomachenko, all of whom became champions at the professional level. When asked, Lomachenko raved about Lomachenko, saying, “He’s an athlete I’ve never seen, he’s so special.”
- He settled in Brooklyn with plans to come to the United States to become a professional. He is managed by David McWater of Split-T Management, who also hosts Teofimo Lopez, and is a method of evaluating prospects through his analysis in boxing circles. Golub has signed a promotional deal with DiBella Entertainment (DBE).
- In the year As a pro in June 2014, he scored a four-round decision over Javon Wright. He then moved to six straight rounds, and recorded four straight one-round KOs. He spent the early part of his career as a middleweight before eventually dropping down to welterweight.
- He remained undefeated with a third-round TKO win over James Stevenson in September 2016, which earned him the NABF 147-pound title. But in his next fight, a non-title affair, he suffered his only loss in an eight-round knockout. The then undefeated Jamontay Clarke. Ironically, that was on the same show in Toledo, where Thursday’s opponent, Wesley Tucker, lost to Enver Halili.
- He also won the WBC United States welterweight title by decision over Lanardo Tyner (August 2018).
- He was scheduled to face US Olympian Charles Conwell last April, but Conwell had to pull out after injuring his hand.
- In the process, he picked up the USBA (United States Boxing Association) welterweight title with a ten-round decision win over Eric Walker at the Hulu Theater in Madison Square Garden in his last fight (8/3/21). He is currently ranked #7 in the world by the International Boxing Federation (IBF).
- Golub knows there are a lot of good names in the 147-pound division and feels as if he is ready to fight anyone at this weight.
- He has gone past ten rounds in four of his last six bouts. His opponent, Tucker, has yet to go ten rounds.
- He currently lives in Brooklyn, where his wife works in a bakery……. Nicknamed “Volk”, which means “wolf” in Russian, ……. He is a SOUTHPAW and stand-up type of boxer who generally likes to establish some distance with his opponents.
- Weight: 150.6 lbs
Wesley Tucker (15-3, 9 KO’s) He has a true crossover fight against USBA welterweight champion Evan Golub on Thursday night.
- A native of Toledo and graduate of Scott High School, Tucker began boxing at the age of eight in amateur tournaments in the area, but has made his mark on the national stage in his 250-fight career. In the year He went all the way to the finals of the National Golden Gloves in 2012.
- Interestingly, he was previously managed by David McWater, who currently manages tonight’s opponent, Golub.
- He made his debut in February 2013 with a one-round TKO over Travis Blackston. And he won his first 14 fights as a professional, hoping to see himself through.
- His career best was an eight-round decision victory over Edward Williams in Detroit and televised on Showbox (on Showtime) in March 2017.
- After that, things took a wrong turn for Tucker. In his own hometown, he suffered his first career loss, an eight-round decision to Enver Halili on the same show (6/30/17) as Golub’s first (and only) loss to Javontay Clark.
- In the year
- Tucker suffered his third straight loss, dropping a six-round decision to Jose Antonio Abreu in July 2019. After that, he was inactive for two years and one month (the pandemic contributed to this), then returned to the win column in August 2021 with a one-round stoppage of Eric Palmer. That was his last fight.
- Tucker has yet to make it past ten rounds in the pro ranks………he considers himself a fearsome ring general and is known for his counterattacking skills……….like Golub he is a southpaw…………. His nickname is “King Wes”……..his middle name is “Casanova”. With a middle name like that, who needs a nickname?
- Weight: 152 lbs