Speaking to Fabrizio Romano, Antony has publicly taken matters into his own hands after Ajax rejected another bid from Manchester United.
Erik ten Hag is eager to reunite with the Brazilian winger after the Dutch manager left Ajax to become the new Red Devils boss.
The Eredivisie champions have rejected several offers from United this summer – most recently an astronomical €90million (£76.2m) bid on Friday.
Antony was left out of Ajax’s squad for their most recent match amidst rumours linking him with a move to the Premier League.
€90m is a lot of money and it is quite surprising that Ajax have not accepted this bid.
But with the transfer window closing in less than a week – on top of the amount of players they have already sold – Ajax are remaining extremely stubborn with this particular transfer saga.
However, the saga has taken a rather dramatic twist.
Antony has told Fabrizio Romano that he wants out and has done for a while.
The Brazilian told Romano that Ajax rejected the most recent bid because they only have five days to sort out a replacement.
Antony reportedly said: “Today, in a meeting with the club, I expressed my old interest in leaving, only this time with a considerable offer on the table.
“Others had already arrived! Ajax refused with argument that they only have 5 days to replace me.
“During the window months, meetings continued and I also received a proposal from Ajax for contract renewal. I made it clear once again: I want to leave.
“I hope Ajax fans understand me… because the future for a football player is a totally uncertain thing and the opportunities can be unique!
“People need to listen to me and understand that my motivation moves me towards happiness. I need this to continue performing at a high level. Ajax will always be in my heart.
“I was very happy in Amsterdam, I won titles at Ajax, made friends and built part of my career, but now I reinforce that I am ready and full of motivation to follow my story and my dreams.
“I’m not asking Ajax to release me, I’m asking Ajax to sell me with the highest bid ever for an Eredivisie player. I’ve been insisting on this theme since February so that the club could rebuild the team with peace of mind.”
Let’s digest this, shall we?
Although Antony’s methods are pretty brutal, he will probably get what he wants after this public outcry.
It would be fair to say that all of his bridges with the club have been burned and Ajax will clearly be absolutely fuming, to say the least.
That €90m bid will probably not get rejected now, considering what the player has said and his true market value, which is nowhere near that amount of money, with all due respect.
It remains to be seen what Manchester United will do, but something tells me they will be making another offer.
Who knows whether or not this will match the most recent bid or not. But given the fact the transfer window closes next week, they better act fast.