Liverpool have reportedly been told that a €40m bid next month for Morocco and Fiorentina star Sofyan Amrabat ‘cannot be refused’ by the Serie A side.
The Reds are in need of freshening up their midfield as it is arguably the weak point of their team.
Naby Keita, James Milner and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are out of contract next year.
Milner could opt to sign a one-year extension but it is likely that the other two players will move on in the summer.
Naturally, Liverpool are being linked with a lot of midfielders as it is known that they are in the market for new players.
Amrabat has emerged as a potential target following his sensational showings for Morocco at the World Cup.
The defensive midfielder was among the tournament’s best players as he helped the African side make history by making it to the semi-finals.
Tottenham Hotspur were linked with him earlier this year but he is now being targeted by Liverpool.
The player’s agent – Alberto Maria Jimmy Fontana – suggested during the World Cup that he has “received many calls for him”.
“We talk often,” Fofana said about his relationship with Amrabat. “I pass on the news that is going around in Italy.
“Fiorentina is enjoying his qualities now, given that last year he was a bit covered by Lucas Torreira [who has since moved onto Galatasaray].
“We have received many phone calls for him, but we respect the choices Fiorentina are making. They decided to bet on him and not to keep Torreira, even if they could have played together.
“The calls are nice, but we have an excellent relationship with Fiorentina.”
Earlier this week, it was claimed that Fiorentina want €45m for Amrabat with his contract due to expire in 2024.
A fresh report from Gazzetta dello Sport (via Sport Witness) is claiming that Liverpool ‘could do it’ in January if they decide to push ahead and pursue the midfielder.
But they suggest that a ‘€40m figure is needed to make a sale’ during the winter transfer window.
The report adds that this figure ‘cannot be refused’ by Fiorentina as his value would decline further in the summer.
Liverpool are also looking elsewhere and it is clear that Jude Bellingham is their main target.
They face heavy competition for the Englishman though and it was claimed on Wednesday morning that Real Madrid ‘believe they’ve won’ the race to sign him.
Real Madrid and Liverpool are both also trying to sign Enzo Fernandez, according to Pedro Sepulveda.
The journalist has refuted reports claiming that ‘there is an agreement’ between Liverpool and the Argentina star.
‘There are no negotiations with any club’ but Real Madrid are ‘also interested’. It is also indicated that Benfica ‘will only sell Fernandez in January’ if his €120m release clause is activated.
READ MORE: Ten things we all completely forgot about this Premier League season before it triumphantly returns