Kevin Magnussen may not be able to return to racing as planned this month after injuring his hand.
The Haas driver was due to take part in the Daytona 24 Hours at the end of the month. But today he confirmed on social media that he has suffered an injury which could prevent him from competing.
“It’s not certain that I will be able to compete with MDK Motorsports next week at Daytona due to a harmless but unexpected hand surgery,” said Magnussen. He had to share the Porsche 911 GT3 R with father Jan and teammates Mark Kvamme and Trenton Estep.
Magnuson found out he had a minor procedure to remove a cyst from one of his wrists. He is due to take part in the Formula 1 season-opener in Bahrain on March 5, which will be preceded by a three-day test session in the final week of February.
In a statement, Haas said they expected their driver to be at full fitness for pre-season testing at the end of February.
“Kevin Magnusson has fully informed the MoneyGram Haas F1 team that he is in need of minor hand surgery,” said Haas. “The team is expecting Kevin to be at full strength for the pre-season testing commitment from next month.”
The two Magnussens shared a 12-hour drive across the Gulf in Abu Dhabi last month. The younger Magnussen made his debut at the 2021 24 Hours of Daytona and finished seventh overall in the Ganassi-driven Cadillac, shared with Scott Dixon and Ranger van der Zande. The Daytona race was the only round of the IMSA schedule that Magnussen was available to participate in during his F1 term.
Don’t miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advertisement | Become a RaceFans fan and
2023 F1 season
Browse all 2023 F1 current articles